Interlibrary Loan Procedural Changes
Effective October 1, 2011:
All libraries will use the ALEPH ILL subsystem to request materials that are available in-state.
- To expedite the process:
- Patron Initiated Inter-Library Loans in 10 Easy steps
- Requesting an item from out-of-state (WorldCat)
- Frequently Asked Questions
- South Dakota's Libraries
Handout of Procedural Changes: PDF Download
To expedite the process:
- Please send lending libraries self-addressed labels as a courtesy.
- Please return borrowed materials as instructed by lending library.
- When receiving items remember to inspect them at arrival and let lending library know of any damages right away.
Patron Initiated Inter-Library Loans in 10 Easy steps (Aleph)
- Enter the SDLN Catalog
- Enter the SDLN's Traditional Catalog
- Sign in using your library barcode and password. Choose the South Dakota State Library as your library
- Choose “All SDLN Libraries”
- Option: You can click on “Global Holdings” to see what libraries hold the item you are interested in.
- Click on the title to access the full record
- Click on the InterLibrary Loan link at the top right
- Choose your delivery method
- Choose your delivery deadline
- In-state requests need 7 days of lead time
- Out-of-state requests need at least 20 days of lead time
- Check the copyright statement agreement at the bottom
- Click “GO”
- You will get a confirmation page
- Keep a paper copy for your records
Using “My Library Card” on Aleph
- Canceling a request
- Checking the progress of an ILL
- Request an item not found in Aleph
- Request an article
Requesting an article (Aleph)
- Click on “My Library Card”
- Click “InterLibrary Loan Form” in the top right corner
- Choose “Journal” on the right
- Fill in as much information as possible
Requesting an item from out-of-state
- Click on the WorldCat icon (to the right)
- Enter your SDSL barcode number and password
- Click on “My Account” and log in again using your SDSL barcode number and password again
- *If this is your first time in WorldCat you will need to register
My Requests (WorldCat)
- View all ILL requests
- View status of ILL requests
- Cancel or renew material if the option is given
Frequently Asked Questions
- How long does an ILL take?
- In-state/Aleph: about 1 week.
- Out-of-state/WorldCat: about 3 weeks
- Where is my ILL request going?
- In-state/Aleph: directly to the lending library.
- Out-of-state/WorldCat: through the State Library
- How can I keep track of my requests?
- Your accounts in Aleph or WorldCat online; but keep a paper copy also.
- Who is responsible when things go wrong?
- The borrowing library is responsible for all materials.
- Does the State Library still lend materials?
- Yes, but only items from our collection.
South Dakota's Libraries
For addresses, go to the SD Library Directory
For individual library policies (as available) review SDLN: Member Libraries (“ILL Policy” links are on the far right column).
LSTA Five Year Plan
Library Services and Technology Act South Dakota State Library Five Year Plan: 2013-2017
Approved June 2012, Resubmitted Sept 2012 | IMLS Approval Letter
Did You Know...
An alternative way to access the Library Catalog is by logging into your ECardPlus. If you don't have a card, that's OK — just click "Guest" and you can search any SDLN Library's catalog.
More CE Events