Library Training Institute 2017
Library Institute is open to librarians, trustees & administration in your community. You have the opportunity to earn 30 contact hours which you can use toward voluntary library certification and accreditation. If you have any questions about this please don't hesitate to call.
Young Adult Services: Resources, Ideas, and Opportunities
Spend a week in the dorms and get to know your fellow library students from all over the state. Enjoy meals together in the cafeteria and fun activities in our host city of Brookings.
This year's programming will feature:
- Dr. Sheryl Feinstein, Dean of the College of Education University of Nebraska Kearney and author of many books on the teenage brain. Secrets of the Teenage Brain: Researched-Based Strategies for Reaching & Teaching Today's Adolescents, "Parenting the Teenage Brain: Understanding a Work in Progress," plus more. Take a look at some of her other books .
- Alissa Adams, School Library Technology Coordinator will be teaching us how the public and school library can successfully work together.
- Stephen Tafoya, CHAOS Makerspace Manager at the Rapid City Public Library. Stephen is a technology instructor for libraries and has actively been a part of the library maker-movement since 2014. The CHAOS Makerspace is a hands-on space that provides patrons access to materials and tools to support their creative goals, foster community collaboration, and inspire minds to dream big and explore the possibilities of the world around them.
- Jasmine Rockwell, Children's & Young Adult Services Coordinator from the State Library will teach us how to work with banned and challenged books. She will be teaching how to design a space for the YA. Jasmine is hosting a skyping opportunity with YA author Zoraida Cordova Labyrinth Lost .
- Carrie Johnson, Ph.D., Extension Specialist and Assistant Professor from North Dakota State University along with CE Coordinator Kathleen Slocum will be sharing the program "Solid Finances" free financial education webinars including "Teens and Money, Financial Aid for students" plus much more.
June 4-9, 2017: Brookings, SD
We are excited to announce that Library Institute 2017 is being held this year at South Dakota State University (SDSU) in Brookings on June 4-9, 2017.
Please watch this page for further announcements and registration updates.
Deadline for New & Current students is March 10, 2017.
Please look at your work and personal schedules and make sure the dates do not conflict with anything before you register.
Coordinated by the South Dakota State Library, the Library Training Institute is a four-year program of continuing education for South Dakota-based library practitioners, support staff and trustees of small public libraries. The program requires week-long attendance at four different Institute modules with successful participation in selected online coursework during the fall and winter months in between the June sessions. No prior formal library science education, or previous college attendance, is required to attend.
Institute participants can start the program at any point in the curriculum, but must complete four-year program of continuing education that includes on-campus and off-campus requirements in seven (7) years. Institute instructors provide in-depth classes in: the foundations of public library service; public library administration; services to the public; collections; cataloging and metadata; and technology. Students earn college credit from Dakota State University, and after completion, are recognized as certified public library practitioners.
Scholarships are limited and also based on your need.
Institute of Museum and Library Services
The Library Training Institute is funded in part by the Institute of Museum and Library Services.
The character of "Madam Bookworm" was created by artist Michael McGourty for the South Dakota State Library. Please respect our arrangement and do not reuse or alter the artwork for your own needs.
The South Dakota State Library is excited to share with all South Dakota public libraries access to "Short Takes for Trustees" a series of 10 short videos for you and your Trustees to view through April, 2017.
More CE Events