Happy South Dakota Library Week!
With over 2,300 valid votes the teens of South Dakota have spoken!
The winner in the Middle School category is Walking on Glass by Alma Fullerton, and the runner up is Ways to Live Forever by Sally Nicholls.
The winner in the High School category is The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, and the runner up is Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles.
April, 12, 2011
2010-2011 Reading List
Sponsored by the South Dakota Library Association, the contest features two lists of fifteen nominated titles for middle school and high school grades To qualify to vote, students read books from the list and give it a star rating of 1 to 4, 4 being best.
Since 1989, each year the Young Adult Reading Program (YARP) Teen Reads Committee of the South Dakota Library Association publishes a list of books to promote quality literature and to help South Dakota teachers and librarians in selecting and promoting books for adolescents. The books are selected from among the many young adult and adult books that have received positive reviews by national reviewing periodicals. To qualify to vote, teens read books from the list and give it a star rating of 1 to 4, 4 being best. Teenagers may vote for as many books as they would like. One winner is selected from the Middle School List and another winner from the High School list.
Middle School List
- Walking on Glass by Alma Fullerton
- Ways to Live Forever by Sally Nicholls
- The Adventurous Deeds of Deadwood Jones by Helen Hemphill
- The Alchemyst by Michael Scott
- Beanball by Gene Fehler
- Black Box by Julie Schumacher
- Boost by Kathryn Mackel
- Chasing Lincoln's Killer by James Swanson
- Defying the Diva by Anne D. Love
- Finding Stinko by Michael de Guzman
- If the Witness Lied by Caroline Cooney
- Juvie Three by Gordon Korman
- Paint the Wind by Pam Munoz Ryan
- Satchel Paige: Striking Out Jim Crow by James Strum
- Tunnels by Roderick Gordon
- The Winter Road by Terry Hokenson
High School List
- The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
- Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles
- Artichoke's Heart by Suzanne Supplee
- Bonechiller by Graham McNamee
- Eon: Dragoneye Reborn by Alison Goodman
- Here Lies Arthur by Philip Reeve
- How Not to Be Popular by Jennifer Ziegler
- If I Stay by Gayle Foreman
- The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness
- Me, the Missing, and the Dead by Jenny Valentine
- Need by Carrie Jones
- North of Beautiful by Justina Chen Headley
- Reality Check by Peter Abrahams
- Secret Story of Sonia Rodriguez by Alan Lawrence Sitomer
- Tweaked by Katherine Holubitsky
- Two Parties, One Tux, and a Very Short Film about the Grapes of Wrath by Steven Goldman
- Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson
Permission: Book jacket covers displayed through an affiliate contract with Barnes & Noble.com .
Each year the Young Adult Reading Program (YARP) Committee of the South Dakota Library Association publishes a list to promote quality literature and to help South Dakota teachers and librarians in selecting and promoting books for adolescents. The books are selected from among the many young adult and adult books that have received positive reviews by national reviewing periodicals.
Download and print this PDF file for a listing of electronic resources made available to South Dakota.
More CE Events