For Immediate Release: June 8, 2005
Contact: Mary Stadick Smith, South Dakota Department of Education, (605) 773-7228, email@example.com
State Library offers new resources
PIERRE, S.D.- The South Dakota State Library has licensed two new databases for use by the public. The databases, HeritageQuest™ Online and Digital Sanborn Maps®, offer a wealth of information.
HeritageQuest Online joins the Ancestry® Library Edition database as a resource for genealogy researchers. HeritageQuest assists novice and professional genealogists in tracing their family histories by providing information from the following sources:
- ProQuest’s® Genealogy and Local History Collection allows information retrieval from more than 25,000 family and local history books.
- The Complete U.S. Federal Census 1790-1930 provides versatility, offering searches in a wide array of categories.
- The Periodical Source Index (PERSI™) offers a comprehensive subject index that covers 6,500 genealogy and local history periodicals.
- The Revolutionary War Era Pension and Bounty-Land Warrant Application Files provide information about 80,000 individuals who served in the Revolutionary War.
- Digital Sanborn Maps provides detailed maps from 1867 to 1970 for more than 80 South Dakota towns. The digital maps allow users greater flexibility and viewing possibilities than their microfilm predecessors. The maps work great for anyone wanting to track the growth, history or development of a town. Users can find information such as the shape and size of buildings, construction materials, street names, property boundaries, building use, and many other details.
Both databases can be accessed at no cost via the State Library’s Web site at www.sdstatelibrary.com.
For more information, contact the State Library at 1-800-423-6665.
This article has been archived and may not be current.
Five librarians graduate from Library Training Institute
posted Friday, June 24, 2016
State Library Board
February 16, 2017, Pierre
SDSL Public Library Trustee Wiki
A general overview of trustee duties and responsibilities, issues, and skills to develop.
More CE Events