For Immediate Release: Monday, Feb. 10, 2014
Contact: Mary Stadick Smith, South Dakota Department of Education, (605) 773-7228, email@example.com
South Dakota public libraries receive accreditation
PIERRE, S.D. — Eleven South Dakota public libraries were accredited by the South Dakota State Library in 2013, under a tiered accreditation system. The libraries were honored at a recent ceremony before lawmakers, colleagues and patrons at Rawlins Municipal Library in Pierre.
The following libraries were accredited:
- Dorothee Pike Memorial Library (Lake Preston) - Enhanced
- Edith B. Siegrist Vermillion Public Library - Exemplary
- Elkton Community Library - Enhanced
- Emil M. Larson Library (Clark) - Essential
- Faith Public/School Library - Enhanced
- Freeman Public Library - Enhanced
- Grace Balloch Memorial Library (Spearfish) - Exemplary
- Hand County Library (Miller) - Enhanced
- Platte Public Library - Essential
- Rapid City Public Library - Exemplary
- Rawlins Municipal Library (Pierre) - Essential
Public libraries are accredited at one of three levels: Essential, Enhanced or Exemplary. Accreditation at the Essential level means a library satisfactorily provides the basic services required by state law and federal guidelines. Subsequent levels of accreditation build on previous levels. Exemplary status recognizes the highest level of service. Accreditation is valid for three years.
Libraries are evaluated in the following areas, as outlined in South Dakota Public Library standards: governance, administration, access, collections and resources, funding, staffing, technology and public relations.
Pictured from Left to Right Front Row: Robin Schrupp, Director Rawlins Municipal Library Pierre; Daria Bossman, State Librarian Pierre; Laura Olson, Freeman Public Library.
Back Row: Stephanie Bents, Digital & Public Services Librarian, Rapid City Public Library; Representative Brock Greenfield for the Emil M. Larson Library, Clark; Donna Ringling Library Board member Platte Public Library; Joyce Moore, Children's Librarian, Edith B. Siegrist Vermillion Public Library; Ray Caffee, Library Director Hand County Library and Amber Wilde, Director Grace Balloch Memorial Library
YARP Book Awards
Celebrating our 125th Statehood Anniversary!
More CE Events