For Immediate Release: Thursday, May 28, 2015
Contact: Mary Stadick Smith, South Dakota Department of Education, (605) 773-7228, email@example.com or Ruth Raveling, South Dakota Department of Education, (605) 773-2593, firstname.lastname@example.org
Libraries recognized as 21st Century School Libraries
PIERRE, S.D. — Eighteen school libraries have received the 21st Century School Library Award for 2015. The 21st Century School Library Award recognizes school libraries as Effective, Enhanced or Exemplary, based on performance in three areas: place, which refers to the learning environment (both physical and online), programming and professionalism.
Applicants conduct a self-assessment and provide evidence of their ability to meet South Dakota's guidelines for school libraries. Award status is valid for a two-year period.
Representatives of the selected libraries will be honored at the annual Systems Change Conference Oct. 16 in Chamberlain.
Exemplary Award Recipients:
- Brookings High School; Librarian Jean Kirschenman, Administrator Paul Von Fischer
- Discovery Elementary School, Sioux Falls; Librarian Sharlene Lien, Administrator Lois Running
- Explorer Elementary School, Harrisburg; Librarian Amy DeNomme, Administrator Doug Eppard
- George S. Mickelson Middle School, Brookings; Librarian Kristen Leite, Administrator Tim Steffensen
- Journey Elementary School, Harrisburg; Librarian Beth Wells, Administrator Dr. Micy Highstreet
- Lincoln High School, Sioux Falls; Librarian Mary Peters, Administrator Val Fox
- Memorial Middle School, Sioux Falls; Librarian Laura Allard, Administrator Carrie Aaron
- Patrick Henry Middle School, Sioux Falls; Librarian Wendy Nelson, Administrator Darryl Walker
- Roosevelt High School, Sioux Falls; Librarian Jeanne Conner, Administrator Tim Hazlett
- St. Elizabeth Seton at Terra Sancta Elementary School, Rapid City; Librarian Jenelle Kirchoff, Administrator Colleen Lecy
- St. Thomas More High School, Rapid City; Librarian Jenelle Kirchoff, Administrator Wayne Sullivan
- Washington High School, Sioux Falls; Librarian Kerri Smith, Administrator James Nold
Enhanced Award Recipients:
- Huron High School; Librarian Dawn Coughlin, Administrator Demetria Moon
- North Middle School, Rapid City; Librarian Jeff Cosier, Administrator Danny Janklow
- Spearfish High School; Librarian Alissa Adams, Administrator Steve Morford
Effective Award Recipients:
- Huron Middle School; Librarian Robert Behlke, Administrator Mike Taplett
- Oscar Howe Elementary School, Sioux Falls; Librarian Emily Blackwelder, Administrator Larry Larsen
- T.F. Riggs High School, Pierre; Librarian Pamela Chamberlain Kringel, Administrator Kevin Mutchelknaus
Click here for more information on the 21st Century School Library Award.
State Library Board
April 27, 2017, Brookings
SDSL Public Library Trustee Wiki
A general overview of trustee duties and responsibilities, issues, and skills to develop.
More CE Events