For Immediate Release: Tuesday, Jan. 27, 2015
Contact: Mary Stadick Smith, South Dakota Department of Education, (605) 773-7228, firstname.lastname@example.org or Ruth Raveling, South Dakota Department of Education, (605) 773-2593, email@example.com
South Dakota public libraries receive accreditation
PIERRE, S.D. — Twelve South Dakota public libraries were accredited by the South Dakota State Library in 2015, under a tiered accreditation system. The libraries were honored at a recent ceremony before lawmakers, colleagues and community members in the Capitol rotunda in Pierre.
The following libraries were accredited:
- Beresford Public Library - Enhanced
- Canton Public Library - Enhanced
- Cozard Memorial Library (Chamberlain) - Essential
- Custer County Library - Exemplary
- Gregory Public Library - Exemplary
- Hot Springs Public Library - Exemplary
- Phoebe Apperson Hearst Library (Lead) - Essential
- Rawlins Municipal Library (Pierre) - Enhanced
- Piedmont Valley Library - Essential
- Tripp County Library (Winner) - Enhanced
- Wall Community Library - Essential
- Yankton Community Library - Exemplary
Public libraries are accredited at one of three levels: Essential, Enhanced or Exemplary. Accreditation at the Essential level means a library satisfactorily provides the basic services required by state law and federal guidelines. Subsequent levels of accreditation build on previous levels. Exemplary status recognizes the highest level of service. Accreditation is valid for three years.
Libraries are evaluated in the following areas, as outlined in South Dakota Public Library standards: governance, administration, access, collections and resources, funding, staffing, technology and public relations.
State Library Board
April 27, 2017, Brookings
Prairie Bud Winner: Gastonby Kelly DiPucchio
Prairie Bloom Winner: Dog V. Catby Chris Gall
Prairie Pasque Winner: The Whispering Townby Jennifer Elvgren
Middle School Winner: A Night Divided by Jennifer Nielson
Prairie Pasque Winner: Nimona by Noelle Stevenson
SDSL Public Library Trustee Wiki
A general overview of trustee duties and responsibilities, issues, and skills to develop.
More CE Events