October 2009, Volume 1, Issue 10
Check your Fall Calendars!
YARP Voting Begins
Teen Read Week
National Friends of Libraries Week
National Novel Writing Month
American Education Week
Letters for Literature
Dec. 12 deadline
Share your opinions of the Cornerstone Newsletter in this quick survey!
Featured eResource of the Month
For years, WorldCat has been your source for finding books, doing interlibrary loan and looking up call numbers. Now WorldCat is part of the OCLC FirstSearch Base Package which offers “one-stop shopping” for indexes to books, articles, images, dissertations, archive material and more.
To access most of these indexes, log in to WorldCat. Beside “Search in database,” click on the drop-down menu. You will see the list of available indexes.
Here’s a brief description of each.
- ArticleFirst—an index of articles from over 16,000 journal sources.
- ClasePeriodica—an index of science and humanities articles from Latin American journals in the sciences and humanities
- Ebooks—all online electronic books cataloged by OCLC members
- ECO—a collection of over 5,000 scholarly journals cataloged by OCLC members covering many disciplines
- ERIC—an index to documents and journal articles about education with some full text access
- GPO—an index to all types of U.S. government publications
- MEDLINE—an index to scholarly articles from medical, nursing and dental journals
- OAIster—digital resources from open archive collections with free access to books, articles, images, audio and video
- PapersFirst—an index of papers presented at conferences worldwide
- Proceedings—an index of worldwide conference proceedings
- WorldAlmanac—includes Funk & Wagnall's New Encyclopedia, The World Almanac and Book of Facts, The World Almanac of the U.S.A., The World Almanac of U.S. Politics, The World Almanac for Kids
- WorldCatDissertations—an index to all dissertations and theses cataloged by OCLC members
Two other databases in this package are available via their titles as separate links on the State Library Online Resources page. These resources are available within libraries only.
- CAMIO—Catalog of Art Museum Images Online gives access to rights-cleared images from over 95,000 works of art
- ArchiveGrid—an index to archival documents worldwide including personal papers, primary source historical documents and family histories
For more details, take the WorldCat Expands! RACE webinar we are offering on Oct. 20. See the State Library training calendar for information.