June/July 2013, Volume 5, Issue 6
Check Your Calendars!!
ALA 2013 Annual Conference & Exhibition
June 27– July 2, Chicago, Illinois
SD Festival of Books
Sept. 20-22, Deadwood
Tri-Conference: NDLA, MPLA, SDLA 2013
The Library: All Travelers Welcome
Sept. 25-27, Sioux Falls
Indian Education Summit
Sept. 29- Oct 1, Chamberlain/Oacoma
Featured e-Resources of the Month
Ah-choo! Allergy info for all ages
The data is collected, and we'll connect you to it soon
The school library data for 2012-2013 is collected and sent off to Bibliostat to be entered into the Connect program. Watch for the publication of the 2013 School Library Data Digest in the late fall.
Thank you for your extra time and effort on this statewide project. Your data is a huge part of the evidence supporting the importance of school libraries in guiding all students to success.
Summer reading, a cool glass of lemonade, and warm breezes…
As school librarians, we are used to providing fun and interesting lists of books for students to combat summer reading loss. However, if we keep our own brains engaged, whether reading for pleasure or reading to learn, we can also stay sharp and prepared for the coming school year.
For some great reading ideas to keep those skills sharpened, check out these resources available at the State Library:
- ——. Common Core Curriculum Maps in English Language Arts, Grades K-5, Jossey-Bass, 2012. (also available for grades 6-8 and 9-12)
- ——. Common Core Literacy Lesson Plans: Ready-to-Use Resources, 9-12, Eye on Education, 2013.
- Davis, Lauren (Ed.). Common Core Literacy Lesson Plans: Ready-to-use Resources, 6-8, Eye on Education, 2013. (also available for K-5)
- Fontichiaro, Kristin. 21st-Century Learning in School Libraries, Libraries Unlimited, 2009.
- Gavigan, Karen W. Connecting Comics to Curriculum: Strategies for Grades 6-12, Libraries Unlimited, 2011.
- Layne, Steven L. Igniting a Passion for Reading: Successful Strategies for Building Lifetime Readers, Stenhouse, 2009.
- Moore, Kenneth D. and Jacqueline Hansen. Effective Strategies for Teaching in K-8 Classrooms, SAGE, 2012.
- Morrow, Lesley Mandel, Karen K. Wixson, Timothy Shanahan (Eds.). Teaching with the Common Core Standards for English Language Arts, Grades 3-5, Guilford, 2013.
- Purcell, Melissa A. The Networked Library: a Guide for the Educational Use of Social Networking Sites, Linworth, 2012.
- Ryan, Susan. Common Core Standards for Middle School English Language Arts: a Quick-Start Guide, Mid-continent Research for Education and Learning, 2012.
- Witt, Maddie. Reading without Limits: Teaching Strategies to Build Independent Reading for Life, Jossey-Bass, 2013.