Electronic Resources | eBooks on EBSCOhost (formerly NetLibrary)
eBooks on EBSCOhost (formerly NetLibrary)
eBooks on EBSCOhost (formerly NetLibrary) is a publisher of eBooks; these are books in electronic format. In South Dakota, eBooks on EBSCOhost provides access to 10,000+ books from 230+ trade and academic publishers in electronic format, plus 3,400+ eBooks from the public domain.
Funded by South Dakota taxpayers and by federal Library Services & Technology Act/LSTA monies, National American University, and Minnesota/North Dakota libraries through MINITEX, the SD State Library makes eBooks on EBSCOhost available free-of-charge throughout SD.
eBooks on EBSCOhost
Full text of 10,000+ commercially published books in the arts, humanities, social sciences, life and physical sciences, business, computers & more, plus Cliffs Notes.
Access: home, library and school campus, state government
Using eBooks on EBSCOhost (formerly NetLibrary)
Libraries and School Campus'
eBooks on EBSCOhost can be accessed on computers located within 370+ South Dakota libraries and on South Dakota campuses (academic, K-12, & SD government). Access eBooks on EBSCOhost by either of two methods:
- by direct connection to eBooks on EBSCOhost (formerly NetLibrary), using the links at top/bottom of this web page or on the State Library's homepage;
- via the hyperlinks found in SDLN catalog records that describe individual eBooks. All 11,500+ eBooks are listed in the State Library's SDLN catalog (SDS). The hyperlinks (labeled ElectronicLinks) within the State Library's catalog (SDS) provide access to eBooks in all 370+ SD libraries and on their campuses . 20 other SDLN libraries have also included descriptions of many or all of these 11,500+ eBooks on EBSCOhost within their catalogs. The ElectronicLinks in the catalogs of these libraries should provide access for patrons in those libraries and on their campuses.
eBooks can be accessed from remote locations (such as home PC's) by either of two methods:
- by direct connection to eBooks on EBSCOhost, using the links at top/bottom of this web page or on the State Library's homepage. Remote users may be prompted to type in the 14-digit barcode and password from any library card issued by any South Dakota Share-It participating library (includes State Library ECards).
- via the hyperlinks found in State Library catalog records which describe individual eBooks on EBSCOhost eBooks. All 11,500+ eBooks are listed in the State Library's catalog. When using these hyperlinks (labeled Click here to View), remote users will be prompted to type in either:
- a personal, individual eBooks on EBSCOhost (formerly NetLibrary) account (the directions for creating this are further below)
- a barcode and password from a library card issued by any South Dakota Share-It participating library (includes State Library ECards).
After users access an eBook, they can browse it without checking it out. Check out can be useful to ensure access for a period of time as long as four hours. The publicly accessible eBooks (3,405 titles) have unlimited access and never need to be checked out.
Tips & Solutions
If you cannot connect to eBooks on EBSCOhost, you can try the following solution:
eBooks on EBSCOhost places temporary “cookies” on browsers in order to authenticate a user for their entire sessions. So once successfully authenticated, a user can direct link to another title without re-authenticating. Closing the browser window ends the session, removes the temporary cookie, and resets this.
The negative side of this occurs when the user clicks on a eBooks on EBSCOhost URL and is denied access to eBooks on EBSCOhost. Then, the resulting eBooks on EBSCOhost “cookie” will continue to deny access to all subsequent eBooks on EBSCOhost items, UNLESS the user closes all browser windows and begins again. Closing all internet browser windows removes this temporary cookie and resets this.
So, when a user cannot successfully access eBooks on EBSCOhost items, the first step in correcting this problem would be to close all internet browser windows (thus removing all temporary eBooks on EBSCOhost cookies).
If you still cannot connect to eBooks on EBSCOhost, please call the State Library at 1-800-423-6665 (SD only).
Download and print this PDF file for a listing of electronic resources made available to South Dakota.
SDSL Electronic Resources Quick Guide
SDSL E-Resources Quick Guide is a reminder of which features are in which e-resources for which age group.
More CE Events