2009-2010 Reading List
Sponsored by the South Dakota Library Association, the contest features two lists of fifteen nominated titles for middle school and high school grades To qualify to vote, students read books from the list and give it a star rating of 1 to 4, 4 being best.
This year there were 1,785 valid votes! There was an increase of over 600 votes from last year!
Middle School List
- Blue Lipstick: Concrete Poems by John Grandits
Winner: 144 votes, 462 stars
- Shark Girl by Kelly Bingham
Runner Up: 101 votes, 362 stars
- Beauty Shop for Rent… Fully Equipped, Inquire Within by Laura Bowers
- Pieces of Georgia by Jen Bryant
- If A Tree Falls at Lunch Period by Gennifer Choldenko
- Gym Candy by Carl Deuker
- Skullduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy
- Brothers, Boyfriends, and Other Criminal Minds by April Lurie
- The Declaration by Gemma Malley
- The Real Benedict Arnold by Jim Murphy
- Freak by Marcella Pixley
- The True Meaning of Smekday by Adam Rex
- Battle Cry by Jan Neubert Schultz
- Hurricane by Terry Trueman
- Red Moon at Sharpesburg by Rosemary Wells
- Rubber Houses by Ellen Yeomans
High School List
- Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
Winner: 114 votes, 428 stars
- I Heart You, You Haunt Me by Lisa Schroeder
Runner Up: 113 votes, 417 stars
- The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie
- Airman by Eoin Colfer
- Deadline by Chris Crutcher
- Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen
- Little Brother by Cory Doctorow
- Beastly by Alex Flinn
- How Ya Like Me Now by Brenda Halpin
- Skate by Michael Harmon
- Bunker 10 by J.A. Henderson
- Wake by Lisa McMann
- Saving Zoe by Alyson Noel
- Unwind by Neal Shusterman
- My Swordhand Is Singing by Marcus Sedgwick
- Saturday Night Dirt by Will Weaver
Permission: Book jacket covers displayed through an affiliate contract with Barnes & Noble.com .
Each year the Young Adult Reading Program (YARP) Committee of the South Dakota Library Association publishes a list to promote quality literature and to help South Dakota teachers and librarians in selecting and promoting books for adolescents. The books are selected from among the many young adult and adult books that have received positive reviews by national reviewing periodicals.
Submit your votes TODAY!
South Dakota YARP/ Teen Choice Book Awards - Voting is open through April 1, 2014!
More CE Events