Purpose: To encourage children to become enthusiastic, discriminating readers.
Participating Organizations: South Dakota Library Association (SDLA); Public Library & Trustee Section of SDLA; School Library & Media Section of SDLA; South Dakota Reading Council; South Dakota State Library; South Dakota Elementary School Principals.
Contest Books: Contest books must meet these requirements:
- Contest will be compiled of book titles, not selected authors.
- Fiction and non-fiction titles may be included.
- Books must have been published 2-3 years prior to the voting year.
- Book titles must reflect children's reading choices.
- T.V. or movie tie-ins will not be allowed.
- Books must meet regular library selection standards.
- Books must be chosen because of suitability and overall interest to children.
- Books must be in print.
- Books must be written by living authors.
- Illustrations must be artistic and suitable.
- Books may be recommended by teachers and librarians.
- Books will be appropriate for children in:
- Grades K-2nd for Prairie Bud
- Grades 3rd-5th for Prairie Pasque
The Book Award Committee will read the books suggested by South Dakota teachers and librarians and formulate a master list of titles to be used for the book award.
The Prairie Bud & Pasque Children’s Book Awards are sponsored by the South Dakota Library Association . Prairie Bud winners are determined by South Dakota kindergarten, first and second grade students. Prairie Pasque winners are determined by South Dakota third, fourth, and fifth grade students. Students are encouraged to read and vote for their one favorite book of the year from the masterlists of titles. The books receiving the most votes from the students win the awards. A committee of educators and librarians select the books nominated for the awards.
The South Dakota Library Association (SDLA) is a statewide organization representing libraries, library employees, library trustees, and library supporters. SDLA provides leadership and educational opportunities, and supports its members in meetgin the challenges of providing quality library service to all South Dakotans.
Prairie Bud/ Prairie Pasque Book Awards
More CE Events