Purpose: To encourage children to become enthusiastic, discriminating readers.
Participating Organizations: South Dakota Library Association (SDLA); Public Library & Trustee Section of SDLA; School Library & Media Section of SDLA; South Dakota Reading Council; South Dakota State Library; South Dakota Elementary School Principals.
Contest Books: Contest books must meet these requirements:
- Contest will be compiled of book titles, not selected authors.
- Fiction and non-fiction titles may be included.
- Books must have been published 2-3 years prior to the voting year.
- Book titles must reflect children's reading choices.
- T.V. or movie tie-ins will not be allowed.
- Books must meet regular library selection standards.
- Books must be chosen because of suitability and overall interest to children.
- Books must be in print.
- Books must be written by living authors.
- Illustrations must be artistic and suitable.
- Books may be recommended by teachers and librarians.
- Books will be appropriate for children in:
- Grades PreK - 1st for Prairie Bud
- Grades 2nd - 3rd for Prairie Bloom
- Grades 3rd - 5th for Prairie Pasque
The Book Award Committee will read the books suggested by South Dakota teachers and librarians and formulate a master list of titles to be used for the book award.
The South Dakota Library Association (SDLA) is a statewide organization representing libraries, library employees, library trustees, and library supporters. SDLA provides leadership and educational opportunities, and supports its members in meetgin the challenges of providing quality library service to all South Dakotans.
More CE Events