Library Outreach/ LSTA | Statistics
- Census Information
- Public Libraries Statistics
- School Libraries Statistics
- How to use the Reports Tool
- Measure for Success at Your Library!
Whether you are writing a grant or justifying a budget request, current census data is often needed. The following sites will provide current data. If additional assistance is needed, call the State Library and ask to speak with Research.
- U.S. Census Bureau
- School District Demographics System: Census 2000
U.S. Department of Education Institute of Education Sciences: National Center for Education Statistics
- Children's Defense Fund
Child Research Data & Publications
Public Libraries Statistics
The annual South Dakota Public Libraries Survey collects statistics from South Dakota's public libraries using sd.countingopinions.com . Data is submitted at the state level (see Data Digests) and at the federal level to the Institute of Museum and Library Services.
What can I do with my Public Library Survey Statistics?
- Calculate your library's Return on Investment. Use your library's service statistics and this easy-to-use ROI calculator tool to show the value your community gets from every dollar spent on the public library.
- Share your library's statistics in an annual report pamphlet available on the PLS portal. Download the pamphlet file, add your photos, your library logo & open hours. How do I do this?
- Compare your library's statistics with other SD public libraries. Libraries use PLS comparison statistics to increase their budgets, request larger spaces, longer open hours, more staff, etc.
How do I access PLS statistics for other libraries?
The State Library makes the data available for use by South Dakota public librarians and their stakeholders. If you want to know more or would like help accessing and analyzing your library's data contact State Library Data Coordinator, Shawn Behrends , 605-773-3131 (Option 6).
Review the latest Public Libraries Survey data for individual libraries:
- Selected SD Public Libraries Survey statistics from South Dakota Libraries FY2015
Contact the State Library for additional survey data elements.
- Central libraries, branches & bookmobiles information SD Public Library Outlets
South Dakota Public Libraries: Data Digest
The South Dakota State Library has compiled an annual report of public library statistics that librarians can use as talking points with their citizens, councilmen, commissioners, and legislators. For current and past reports, continue to Publications.
Library Use Calculator
What's your local library worth? Estimate the value of books, media, programs and services your library provides. Share this tool with your patrons, trustees and commissioners. Link to this the calculator from your library's webpage.
Library Use Calculator
School Libraries Statistics
All SD school districts and systems are asked to complete the annual School Library Survey in April/May. The survey collects information on school library budgets and facilities, circulation and programs, staffing and professional activities.
Data collected is available to school administrators and librarians through the Reports tool on their district/system accounts at https://sd.countingopinions.com. Contact the State Library Data Coordinator for assistance in compiling reports to compare your districtâ€™s statistics to others in the state or to review your districtâ€™s statistics over past years.
School Librarians: Find out more about the survey at: School Library Survey: Frequently Asked Questions
Contact the State Library Data Coordinator, Shawn Behrends if you have further questions or need login/password assistance.
South Dakota School Libraries: Data Digest
This publication is a snapshot and summary of statistical school library information harvested each spring from every district in the state. For current and past reports, continue to Publications.
Counting Opinions Reports Tool
For all South Dakota public library directors, school librarians and administrators…
You now have access to Public Libraries Survey and School Libraries Survey data through the Counting Opinions Reports tool. This easy but powerful tool can help you analyze your library's data for trends across time and compare your library's data to others in the State.
Access the Reports tool at the online survey site: sd.countingopinions.com
Learn the basics of using the Reports tool and building reports:
- How to access the reports tool and create a report
- Using Report Types
- Using filters to sort and drill down
More CE Events