About SDSL | Staff | Employment Opportunity
Interlibrary Loan Librarian (Job Id 7939 )
- Location: Pierre
- Agency: Department of Education; South Dakota State Library
- Employment Type: Permanent
- Job ID: Job Id 7939
- Salary: $16.50-19.00 per hour
- Pay Grade: GH
- Post Date: 03/01/2017
- Close Date: 04/07/2017
- Degree Requirements: Bachelor's degree
- Preferred but not required: Some library coursework or Masters in Library Science
PLEASE ATTACH ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS LISTED ON THIS PAGE
The Interlibrary Loan Librarian performs duties relating to interlibrary loan lending and borrowing under the supervision of the Access Services Senior Librarians. The selected candidate will process, search and verify ILL requests from a variety of libraries within South Dakota. The ILL Librarian will work closely with the Reference Librarian and Metadata Librarian to ensure that all ILL and other duties as assigned are completed in an efficient manner.
The ILL Librarian maintains the operation of library services to provide these services to state government employees and all types of libraries throughout the State of South Dakota. This person will also ensure the goals and objectives of the State Library are met in the following areas:
- responds to information requests from libraries and other agencies;
- ensures a smooth workflow to ensure all requests are handled in a timely fashion;
- demonstrates library reference service and resources as well as developing outreach materials for the Interlibrary loan system South Dakota Share-It;
- prepares and updates procedural manual, prepares monthly reports and statistical reports;
- acts as a lead worker to ensure library operations are carried out and maintained;
- handles all duties related to the South Dakota State Library Courier;
- handles all duties related to our Central Mailing System;
- enforcement of SD State Library interlibrary loan policies and knowledge of ILL International Code of Ethics;
- maintain a working knowledge of all facets of the Access Services Department including ILL, Cataloging, Digitization, Reference, and Circulation;
- performs other work as assigned.
PLEASE ATTACH RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO APPLICATION
NCRC: If you possess a National Career Readiness Certificate, please submit the certificate with your application. For more information on how to acquire a National Career Readiness Certificate contact a South Dakota Department of Labor and Regulation Local Office.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
A bachelor's degree is strongly preferred. A master's in library science or coursework in library science is preferred.
Ideal candidate will have library experience or training but these are not initially essential.'
- Interlibrary Loan as well as knowledge of the ILL International Code of Ethics;
- library cataloging;
- digitization of library documents;
- reference services;
- circulation services.
- communication skills;
- prepare statistical reports;
- work as part of a team.
- learn quickly and adapt in an ever changing environment;
- provide timely assistance;
- prioritize workflow;
- flexibility with work demands.
Reports to the head of Reference, Digital and Collection Services under the Asst. State Librarian and State Librarian
Challenges include meeting the needs of government, public libraries, and school libraries through Interlibrary Loan services provided by the South Dakota State Library in the most efficient and effective way possible. Also challenging is the technological advancements and changes, which require continuous training of users and staff.
Typical problems include repetitive training and integration issues, fluctuations in workflow, maintaining knowledge of and relaying information on changing rules and procedures, developing and updating training to meet necessary needs, fiscal constraints, assisting local library staff who have had little or no training, identifying local library issues and ways to fix those problems and balancing the needs of larger libraries with those of smaller ones.
Decisions made include: how to prioritize workflow, when to make changes to workflow, when to do training for local libraries, which local library needs should be addressed first and what priority should be assigned to identified training needs.
VETERANS' PREFERENCE ELIGIBLE
The State of South Dakota offers paid employee health insurance plus ten paid holidays, generous vacation leave accrual, and medical, dental, vision, and other benefits. For more information visit bhr.sd.gov .
Apply at: http://bhr.sd.gov/workforus
South Dakota Bureau of Human Resources
500 East Capitol
Pierre, SD 57501-5070
"An Equal Opportunity Employer"
State Library Board
April 27, 2017, Brookings
SDSL Public Library Trustee Wiki
A general overview of trustee duties and responsibilities, issues, and skills to develop.
More CE Events