Library Outreach/ LSTA | Administration
- Copyright and Public Domain
- Disaster Preparedness
- Policies and Procedures
- More Administration Links
- American Library Association
- Association of Library Trustees, Advocates, Friends and Foundations
- Reading is Fundamental
Children's literacy organization
- School Libraries Online International Association of School Librarianship
Copyright and Public Domain
Copyright law is an issue that libraries must deal with almost daily. The answer to any copyright question is “It depends.” Digital Right Management, fair use, licensing, Creative Commons, permissions—these are a few of the terms to know.
Public Domain materials are no longer in copyright (published before 1923) or never were copyrighted. They may be freely used without permission. Two popular sites of compiled digitized public domain materials are Public Doman Review. It has links to texts, sorted by genre. Project Gutenberg is a collection of ebooks in public domain.
- State Library Web Sites
List compiled by Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction
- Disaster response information Disaster Response Fact Sheet, ALA
- Collections care & disaster response planning Collections care & disaster response pdfs from Lyrasis
- California Preservation Program (including disaster preparedness and response)
- Kansas Cultural Heritage Emergency Resources Network
ADA Accessibility Guidelines for Buildings and Facilities (ADAAG) . All new library buildings or buildings that are undergoing substantial remodeling must be compliant with the federal Americans with Disabilites Act.
Public Library Space Needs: A Planning Outline . The state of Wisconsin has published a very helpful guide for determining space needs for public libraries. Whether you are planning a totally new building, an addition, or just a reorganization of the space you already have, this guide will assist in providing adequate space for technology, for staff work areas, etc. A print copy of this guide is available for loan if you cannot download from this site.
Administrative Rules and South Dakota Codified Laws pertaining to libraries in South Dakota.
Policies and Procedures
South Dakota Public Library Standards
The South Dakota Public Library Certification/Accreditation Standards were originally developed and administered by the South Dakota Library Association. In June 2008, the SDLA Board voted to move the administration of both the Certification and the Accreditation Standards to the South Dakota State Library. If you have questions about the Librarian Certification or Library Accreditation process, call the State Library at 605-773-3131.
The purpose of the accreditation process is to encourage the ongoing development of quality library service in the state.
Libraries and the Internet Toolkit from ALA.
Library Technology Planning: An Outline of the Process from Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction.
South Dakota State Library Trustee Wiki
The South Dakota Public Library Trustee Wiki (sdstatelibrary.wikispaces.com ) is intended to provide information for South Dakota Public Library Trustees to use in the performance of their duties. Building on and updating the content of the South Dakota Public Library Trustees Manual published in 1994, it presents a general overview of:
- trustee duties and responsibilities
- the complementary roles of trustees and library directors
- some of the skills trustees must develop
- some of the issues trustees face
- Printing Instructions:
- Print in color, duplex or 2 sided, and page centered if possible.
- Fold in half horizontally with the back and front covers facing you, and fold in half along the seam of the back and front cover. (Like a greeting card)
- Trim off the top fold, and with the front cover facing you, trim off the white on the right side.
- Fold and crease. May staple in center as needed.
SDSL Cornerstone e-Newsletter: Board Talk articles
Getting On Board: Tools for Board Development and Assessment from Pennsylvania Bureau of Library Development.
Trustee E-Modules from Library of Virginia.
Trustee Essentials from the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction.
Trustee Trouble Videos by the Wyoming State Library.
Library Improvement Videos Series of videos by Office of Commonwealth Libraries, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
More Administration Links
The South Dakota State Library is excited to share with all South Dakota public libraries access to "Short Takes for Trustees" a series of 10 short videos for you and your Trustees to view through April, 2017.
State Library Board
April 27, 2017, Brookings
SDSL Public Library Trustee Wiki
A general overview of trustee duties and responsibilities, issues, and skills to develop.
More CE Events