Electronic Resources | South Dakota Titles To Go powered by OverDrive
South Dakota Titles To Go powered by OverDrive
The South Dakota State Library is pleased to announce its coordination of an affordable self-funded OverDrive downloadable audiobook and ebook program for purchase by public libraries in South Dakota. New public libraries may join quarterly.
Visit southdakota.lib.overdrive.com today!!
Next South Dakota Titles to Go sign-up deadline is June 30, 2013
Thinking about joining the 28 public libraries who already participate in SD Titles to Go, a downloadable ebook and audiobook collaborative?
The next sign-up deadline is June 30. Act now to get information and talk to your board.
Collaborative members purchase a shared collection of downloadable ebooks and audiobooks for their patrons' use, available to them 24/7.
Since its launch, SD Titles to Go has gotten positive response. One happy patron said, "The download of the ebooks worked great on my new smart phone. I downloaded my first book and have a few on the wait list. Some books are already checked out, but you just put the ones you want on your wait list. I hope they keep adding titles. Thanks for getting this all set up. It's going to be awesome."
Participating libraries show increases in new library card requests and checkouts.
The OverDrive program will provide participating public library patrons the ability to download audiobooks and ebooks from the public library website. Downloadable audiobooks and ebooks are available in a wide variety of popular genres, including bestsellers, fiction, romance, suspense, children's and YA, business, self-help and language learning. Downloadable audiobooks and ebooks may be checked out for a period of time, placed on the patron's computer, burned to a CD or transferred to a portable device.
Audiobooks and ebooks are automatically returned when due.
Participating libraries will sign a participation agreement with OverDrive, who will take care of all billing and financial aspects directly with the participating library.
How would patrons access the downloadable audiobooks? (Authentication):
OverDrive provides these three types of authentication at no additional cost:
- Authentication incorporated with individual library integrated library systems (ILS) using authentication scheme provided by the library’s ILS vendor. Individual libraries may experience additional charges by ILS vendors to set up authentication.
- Click-through authentication that transfers the patron’s session from the individual library catalog to OverDrive
- OverDrive’s Library Card Manager, in which the individual library uploads patron barcodes for patrons to OverDrive. This method can be used by libraries with or without automation.
- OverDrive works with multiple barcode schemes. For example, in the case of overlap, patrons could be required to select their home library.
Each participating library can choose the option that works best for them.
Collection Funding and Selection:
The South Dakota Titles To Go annual fee includes the purchase of the titles. Fee breakdown:
- One-third of the annual participation fee is allocated toward configuration, system fees and maintenance.
- Two-thirds of the annual participation fee is allocated toward titles for the shared collection.
Individual titles are purchased using the participation fees allocated towards titles. The average price per audiobook title is approximately $40; however, prices are set by the publisher and vary widely. Ebook prices are significantly less. Titles purchased would be available to all participating libraries.
A 3 to 5 person volunteer selection committee, initially appointed by the State Library from participating libraries, will select titles. All participating libraries may submit title lists to the committee.
The make-up of the initial Collection Development Committee is:
- $600 and $1500 tier 2 libraries represented
- $3000 and $6000 tier 3 libraries represented
Initial Collection Development Committee and the tier representing:
- Vicki Anderson, Northwest Regional Library (Buffalo) (600)
- Jane Norling, Beresford (1500)
- Mike Mullin, Watertown (3000)
- Amber Wilde, Spearfish (3000)
- Shirley Arment, Alexander Mitchell (Aberdeen) (6000)
Content will be purchased approximately every two weeks. Two-thirds of content budget will be spent on audio and one-third will be spent on ebooks.
The subscription term is January 1 - December 31. Libraries may sign up quarterly (March 31, June 30, September 30 and December 31). Libraries signing up mid-year will pay a pro-rated tier price. Libraries will "go live" approximately six weeks from sign-up.
Each participating public library will pay a single annual fee based on population service area (from current NCES data.). Subscription term is January 1 - December 31.
Up to 1,499
1,500 — 9,999
10,000 — 29,999
- Annual fees = annual fee based on legal service area population based on NCES data
- The annual fee will be pro-rated if a library joins mid cycle.
- Look up library tier
To Enroll/Participation Form
Each participating library will need to fill out an OverDrive participation form . Enrollment deadlines are March 31, June 30, September 30 and December 31. Send enrollment forms directly to OverDrive via the contact information below:
Attn: Brian Potash
Attn: Brian Potash
8555 Sweet Valley Drive, Suite N
Cleveland, Ohio 44125
At least one staff member from each participating library should be signed up for the SDDAC listserv, where concerns, announcements and general information about the Downloadable Audiobook Collaborative are shared. Additional staff members from each library are encouraged to sign up also.
Compatible Devices and Help
South Dakota Titles To Go Help (southdakota.lib.overdrive.com )
Marketing, patron training and library training resources (www.overdrive.com/trainingcenter )
Printable South Dakota Titles To Go… materials. Access ftp.overdrive.com using IE 6.0+ (login/click on South Dakota folder). Contact Julie Erickson for username/password.
Questions/ Contact Info:
Please call 1-800-423-6665 or
Did You Know...
An alternative way to access the Library Catalog is by logging into your ECardPlus? If you don't have a card, that's OK -- just click "Guest" and you can search any SDLN Library's catalog.
SDSL Puzzle Map
Print out this color handout for use in your library.
Puzzle Map download
More CE Events