Electronic Resources | South Dakota Titles To Go powered by OverDrive
South Dakota Titles To Go powered by OverDrive
The South Dakota State Library is pleased to announce its coordination of an affordable self-funded OverDrive downloadable audiobook and ebook program for purchase by public libraries in South Dakota. New public libraries may join any time.
Visit southdakota.lib.overdrive.com today!!
Now featuring Lexiles, Interest and ATOS levels to assist with book selection
SD Titles To Go now has Lexile measures, along with interest (grade level) and ATOS levels to assist in locating books for children at their reading level. The levels are located on the left hand side of the SD Titles To Go search results page with all the other search filters (format, subject etc.)
These reading resources support READ! SD, the summer reading initiative promoted by the SD Department of Education along with the SD State Library.
The OverDrive program will provide participating public library patrons the ability to download audiobooks and ebooks from the public library website. Downloadable audiobooks and ebooks are available in a wide variety of popular genres, including bestsellers, fiction, romance, suspense, children's and YA, business, self-help and language learning. Downloadable audiobooks and ebooks may be checked out for a period of time, placed on the patron's computer, burned to a CD or transferred to a portable device.
Audiobooks and ebooks are automatically returned when due.
Participating libraries will sign a participation agreement with OverDrive, who will take care of all billing and financial aspects directly with the participating library.
How would patrons access the downloadable audiobooks? (Authentication):
OverDrive provides these three types of authentication at no additional cost:
- Authentication incorporated with individual library integrated library systems (ILS) using authentication scheme provided by the library’s ILS vendor. Individual libraries may experience additional charges by ILS vendors to set up authentication.
- Click-through authentication that transfers the patron’s session from the individual library catalog to OverDrive
- OverDrive’s Library Card Manager, in which the individual library uploads patron barcodes for patrons to OverDrive. This method can be used by libraries with or without automation.
- OverDrive works with multiple barcode schemes. For example, in the case of overlap, patrons could be required to select their home library.
Each participating library can choose the option that works best for them.
Collection Funding and Selection:
The South Dakota Titles To Go annual fee includes the purchase of the titles. Fee breakdown:
- One-third of the annual participation fee is allocated toward configuration, system fees and maintenance.
- Two-thirds of the annual participation fee is allocated toward titles for the shared collection.
Individual titles are purchased using the participation fees allocated towards titles. The average price per audiobook title is approximately $40; however, prices are set by the publisher and vary widely. Ebook prices are significantly less. Titles purchased would be available to all participating libraries.
A 3 to 5 person volunteer selection committee, initially appointed by the State Library from participating libraries, will select titles. All participating libraries may submit title lists to the committee.
The make-up of the initial Collection Development Committee is:
- $600 and $1500 tier 2 libraries represented
- $3000 and $6000 tier 3 libraries represented
Initial Collection Development Committee and the tier representing:
- Vicki Anderson, Northwest Regional Library (Buffalo) (600)
- Jane Norling, Beresford (1500)
- Mike Mullin, Watertown (3000)
- Amber Wilde, Spearfish (3000)
- Shirley Arment, Alexander Mitchell (Aberdeen) (6000)
Current Collection Development Committee, the tier representing and their term expiration:
- Leann Kaufman, Freeman Public Library (600) (2015)
- Deb Matthys, North Sioux City Community Library, (1500) (2016)
- Nita Gill, Brookings Public Library (3000) (2015)
- Shirley Arment, Alexander Mitchell Library (Aberdeen)(6000)(2016)
- Jane Norling, Beresford Public Library (at-large representative) (2014)
Content will be purchased approximately every two weeks. Content budget spent equally on audio and ebooks.
The subscription term is January 1 - December 31. Libraries may sign up anytime. Libraries signing up mid-year will pay a pro-rated tier price. Libraries will "go live" approximately four weeks from sign-up.
Each participating public library will pay a single annual fee based on population service area (from current NCES data.). Subscription term is January 1 - December 31.
Up to 1,499
1,500 — 9,999
10,000 — 29,999
- Annual fees = annual fee based on legal service area population based on NCES data
- The annual fee will be pro-rated if a library joins mid cycle.
- Look up your library's tier harvester.census.gov
To Enroll/Participation Form
Each participating library will need to fill out an OverDrive participation form . Public libraries can enroll anytime. Send enrollment forms directly to OverDrive via the contact information below:
Attn: Brian Potash
Attn: Brian Potash
One OverDrive Way
Cleveland, Ohio 44125
At least one staff member from each participating library should be signed up for the SDDAC listserv, where concerns, announcements and general information about the Downloadable Audiobook Collaborative are shared. Additional staff members from each library are encouraged to sign up also.
Compatible Devices and Help
South Dakota Titles To Go Help (southdakota.lib.overdrive.com )
Marketing, patron training and library training resources (partners.overdrive.com )
Printable South Dakota Titles To Go… materials. Access ftp.overdrive.com using IE 6.0+ (login/click on South Dakota folder). Contact Julie Erickson for username/password.
Questions/ Contact Info:
Please call 1-800-423-6665 or
OverDrive Digital Bookmobile Tour 2013
The Digital Bookmobile National Tour showcased the free e-book download service from South Dakota Titles to Go at the following locations:
- Friday, June 21
Rawlins Municipal Library, Pierre
- Saturday, June 22
Watertown Regional Library
Are you having issues watching webinars or some other special online feature? Try a different web browser.
SDSL Puzzle Map
Print out this color handout for use in your library. Puzzle Map download
*Last revised September, 2014
- e-Resource of the Month articles
More CE Events