As a citizen of South Dakota, your library card will provide a back-up method for access to State Library databases.
State Library cards are only available to South Dakota residents.
What does my SDSL eCard do?
Do research from the comfort of home by utilizing the databases:
- Full-Text Journal Articles
- Electronic Books*
- Practice Tests
- Local History
* Electronic books do not include SD Titles to Go. For access to SD Titles to Go, please contact your local library.
** Ancestry Library is only available from "in library use only"
As a employee of the State of South Dakota, your SDSL eCard will allow you direct access to the following:
- Personal Research Assistance
- Research Materials
- Specialized Services
- Training Available
Frequently Asked Questions
Because the State Library uses GeoIP that allows SD residents access to most of all of the SD State Library electronic resources WITHOUT requiring a library card, a library card is not necessarily needed.
South Dakota residents that live near state borders may experience issues with GeoIP, and may find having a library card number would be useful.
Access to databases is only available to SD residents.
Please note: Ebook downloads are not available with a State Library card. Check with your local library.
Databases can be accessed from our complete list of online databases.
- Click on the resource that you wish to use
- You will either be logged in automatically to the resource OR
- Be asked, "Allow this application to use your location?" - choose Allow
- If you choose "Deny", you will be sent to a login screen where you will need a library username/password for access.
- Ancestry Library is an "in library use only" resource.
- Ebook downloads are not available with a State Library card. Check with your local library.
By default your password is your last name in ALL CAPS (e.g. SMITH).