New professional learning platform by DOE/SDSL, powered by Canvas.
The State Library hosts a Google Calendar of events including training webinars hosted by SDSL staff, database vendors and other library-related events.
SDSL Board Meetings
Authorized by Chapter 14-1 of the South Dakota Codified Laws, the SDSL Board directs State Library operation and assists and coordinates the other libraries throughout the state in providing services to the public.
ExCITE! 2024 Reboot: Civil & Ethical Literacy
This on-line course focuses on the third strand of the SD School Library Standards, Civic and Ethical Literacy.
Prepare for Summer Reading in these Workshops to hosted across South Dakota during February and March.
School Library Upcoming PD:
- School Library Book Study
Cultivating Connected Learning
Public Library Survey
The Public Libraries Survey is an annual statistical survey of all public libraries in the U.S. The State Library makes the data available for use by SD public librarians and their stakeholders.
Intro to Public Libraries Survey for New Directors
Regional Library Trainings
Continuing education opportunity for library directors and staff, in-person and online in select locations across South Dakota.
- Monday, March 25 - Sturgis
- Wednesday, April 3 - Mitchell
- Thursday, April 11 - Online
This spring's topic is weeding.
School Library Survey
The State Library uses data collected from the School Libraries Survey (SLS) to track changes and trends in South Dakota School Libraries.
Library Training Institute
Spend a week in the dorms with fellow library professionals in June.
ExCITE! 2024: Creating an Impactful School Library
This on-line course focuses on the unique aspects of school librarianship and what it takes to create an impactful school library.
This workshop is an opportunity to learn about foundational reading skills, family literacy training and tips, and how to incorporate preliteracy skills into library activities
SDLA Annual Conference
Each fall SDLA holds its annual conference with educational training sessions, keynotes, and events.
Gale, a Cengage Company partners with libraries around the world to empower the discovery of knowledge and insights. Your state provides access to reputable, reliable digital content through their partnership with Gale.
Collect + Connect Meet-ups
Hosted monthly via Zoom, the SDSL facilitates monthly chats for school, public, and academic libraries. These are informal chats to learn from colleagues and make connections.
WebJunction builds the knowledge, skills and confidence of library staff to power strong libraries that are the heart of vibrant communities. A program of OCLC Research, WebJunction is free and welcome to all libraries to use, regardless of size, type or location.
- ALA eLearning : ALA eLearning is the leading global content provider of courses, webinars, and customized eLearning content for library and information workers in all types of libraries and related organizations. New events are added all the time; search and browse for fee-based eCourses and webinars as well as free events. Registration is required.
- Candid : Learn more about finding and applying for grants for your library. Candid offers live and recorded grant training and webinars.
- Federal Depository Library Program : FDLP offers live and recorded webinars on government publications.
- Library Career Resources
- Library Journal : LJ offers many resources including online courses, in-person, virtual events and webcasts
- Network of the National Library of Medicine : NNLM offers classes on health and wellness topics for specifically for libraries.
Remember: tracking your continuing education hours is your individual responsibility.