- Lisa's Smaller Anglerfish Circuit Template
- copper tape
- button battery
- LED light
- cellulose tape such as 3M Scotch ™ Brand
- binder clip
- colored pencils (optional)
- chenille stems/ pipe cleaners (alternative)
Create a circuit to emulate the angler fish's lure! To ensure that you have enough supplies for an in-library program, be sure to have a sign-up sheet with a limited number of participants. These also make great take-and-make kits. See Printables for an angler fish template by Christina Dorman of Maine State Library, Augusta, ME. Suggested runtime: 60 min.
- Using Lisa's template, apply copper tape along + to + lines
- Repeat application of copper tape along - to - lines
- Bend the positive (long) and negative (short) wires of the LED light along the directions of the copper tape. Secure with cellulose tape.
- Place button battery with negative side touching the negative copper tape.
- Fold paper along dashed line. Now, positive copper tape will touch positive side of battery, and the anglerfish will light up.
- Discuss the flow of electrons = positive to negative.
Strip the ends of two chenille stems. Attach one set of ends to a button battery with cellulose tape. With other end of chenille stems, attach LED light, keeping positive/positive and negative/negative sides together.
- Anglerfish: The Seadevil of the Deep by Elaine M. Alexander
- Wrangler the Anglerfish: Obeying Rules by Suzie Heinmiller-Boatright