Stephanie Miller-Davis Grant Year 2022
What: A grant program to promote early childhood literacy in the rural South Dakota communities. Funding is made possible from the Stephanie Miller-Davis Charitable Fund, a private donor advised fund from a SD family, in collaboration with the SD State Library and the South Dakota Community Foundation. Grant funds are encouraged to be used to broaden programming during this time of social distancing to include curbside, outdoor and virtual programming.
Awards: $1000; Library can apply and receive a grant up to three years in a row by reapplying each year.
Eligibility: South Dakota public libraries that are state and federally recognized and in compliance with State statues with LSA population (Legal Service Area) of 5000 or fewer residents for city libraries and under 7500 (LSA) for county libraries. Any South Dakota tribal/public library on any South Dakota reservation regardless of size may apply. South Dakota public school libraries may partner with an eligible public library closest to them and apply jointly. An official 501c3 "Friends of the Library" may apply on behalf of a public library.
Not required, but preference will be given to:
- libraries who have sought out or are currently seeking SD State Library voluntary accreditation; and
- libraries that send local librarians or trustees to training programs such as Jump Start or participate in online webinars.
Applications should be submitted online through your sponsoring public library's annual report portal at sd.countingopinions.com . Sign in using your library's annual report account credentials. Select the Stephanie Miller-Davis Grant from the Collection menu.
Contact: Questions please call the South Dakota State Library at 1-800-423-6665 or email Laura Kelly email@example.com .
- Open Registration: Tuesday, December 1, 2021
- Close Registration: Monday, February 1, 2022
- Grant Decisions communicated by: Monday, February 28, 2022
Terms and Conditions of Acceptance
- No more than 25 grants will be awarded.
- Failure to complete all questions on the application form may jeopardize an applicants' chances.
- The grant is for $1000; not more or less.
- All funds must be directed toward a summer reading program or programs, children's spaces, children's books and materials.
- All funds must be accounted for with receipts when applicable.
- Funds cannot be spent on salaries or food.
- All awarded funds must be spent by August 31, 2022.
- Failure to complete an evaluation form and submit by the deadline may jeopardize future opportunities to apply.
- Self-Evaluation must be submitted by September 30, 2022.
- All award decisions are made by the Miller-Davis family and are final.
South Dakota Community Foundation
The Stephanie Miller-Davis Fund was established to remember Stephanie while continuing her investment in children. This fund supports early childhood literacy in South Dakota with a focus on rural communities.