Each year the Young Adult Reading Program Committee of the South Dakota Library Association publishes a list to promote quality literature and to help South Dakota teachers and librarians in selecting and promoting books for adolescents. The books are selected from among the many young adult and adult books that have received positive reviews by national reviewing periodicals.
For questions, contact the SD Library Association book awards committee .
Download the following files for use in your library:
Round Nominee Labels: Ensure the file prints at 100% or "Actual Size" as some systems may default to automatically fit resulting printing errors.
- Avery 5293 : 1 2/3" dia., 24 per sheet
The graphics available below are provided for the use of educators and librarians.
Please do not alter or edit the graphics in any form. If you must resize an image, please ensure that proportions are constrained (ie. no flattening or squishing the image to fit). The badges are at 1:1 ratio.
YARP members look for high-quality books that appeal to South Dakota teenagers; books that they can't wait to read, that they will recommend to each other, and books that teens will love.
Participating Organizations: South Dakota Library Association ; South Dakota State Library
- Books should be chosen on the basis of quality, suitability, and overall interest to SD teenagers, grades 6-12.
- Titles on the booklist should include both fiction and nonfiction.
- The list should have a balance of genres and gender representation, a range of reading levels (avoiding elementary), and a variety of viewpoints.
- Adult books recommended for teens may be included on the list.
- All books must be read and recommended by at least three members of the selection committee to be considered for inclusion on the list.
- Inclusion of the title on other "best books" lists is encouraged, but not mandatory.
- Titles included on the Prairie Pasque list may not be included on the YARP/Teen Reads list.
- Books may be first in a series, but may not be from subsequent volumes in the series.
- Books should have been published within the last five years.
- Books must be in print at the time of selection.
- Only one title by an author can appear on each year's list.