By state statute, we perform specific functions as outlined in SDCL 14:1 .
We are one of the smallest ones in staffing and services.
All state libraries receive direct "Grants to State" federal funding which requires matching funds from the state receiving the funds.
These federal dollars pay for:
- 58 subject-specific databases (schools heavily depend on these resources),
- Interlibrary loan support including SD ShareIt (which replaced SDLN in 2016) and the statewide courier service,
- all Braille and Talking Book program and staff,
- digitization of some of our older state documents,
- federally and state-required annual data collections,
- summer reading programming, and
- the training and standards for our school and public librarians including technology advances.