Transforming Library Services: Huron for April 16 & 17 has been postponed.
Stephanie Miller-Davis Training Travel Grant is being deferred until new training dates (Transforming Library Services) have been determined.
Two grants for 2020Library Training Travel Grant (Extended through Mar. 13, 2020) Rural Summer Reading Progamming Grant (Due Feb. 3, 2020)
Stephanie Miller-Davis Library Training Travel Grant
What: Library Training Travel Grant helps support libraries sending a staff person or persons to Transforming Library Services for Early Childhood Through Teens training. Funds can be used to cover mileage, food, motel and a substitute librarian. Funding is made possible from the Stephanie Miller-Davis Charitable Fund, a private donor advised fund from a SD family, in collaboration with the SD State Library and South Dakota Community Foundation.
- Up to 45 awards of $250 grants
- One grant will be awarded for $1000
Eligibility: Must be a legal South Dakota public library and in good standing with the state law. Must submit a request for one/ one-time grant of $1000 by deadline date.
- Funds will be used for one or more staff person or persons attending Transforming Library Services for Early Childhood Through Teens training.
- School librarians can attend and use travel funds if partnered with their local public library and plan to share expenses. (All funding is distributed to the local public library board only.)
- If there are funds remaining, these funds are to be used this fiscal year for other South Dakota training opportunities for the local library staff and trustees. (Jump Start, SDLA, Performance Showcase, Library Institute etc.)
- Failure to attend training opportunities would forfeit the libraries ability to apply for the grant again for five years. Excused absences due to emergencies are understandable and replacement staff is acceptable. In situations where no one representing your library can attend, the check can be returned without penalties.
How to apply: Applications should be submitted online at sd.countingopinions.com . Sign in using your library's annual report account credentials. Select the SMD Training Travel Grant from the Collection menu.
Deadline: Completed applications must be received no later than Friday, March 13, 2020 for Huron and Philip's Transforming Library Services for Early Childhood Through Teens trainings. Grant decisions will be communicated to recipient before training event.
Stephanie Miller-Davis Grant: Applications Open December 2, 2019
What: A grant program to promote early childhood literacy in the rural South Dakota communities. Funding is made possible from the Stephanie Miller-Davis Charitable Fund, a private donor advised fund from a SD family, in collaboration with the SD State Library and the South Dakota Community Foundation.
Awards: $1000; Library can apply and receive a grant up to three years in a row by reapplying each year.
Eligibility: South Dakota public libraries that are state and federally recognized and in compliance with State statues with LSA population (Legal Service Area) of 5000 or fewer residents for city libraries and under 7500 (LSA) for county libraries. Any South Dakota tribal/public library on any South Dakota reservation regardless of size may apply. South Dakota public school libraries may partner with an eligible public library closest to them and apply jointly. An official 501c3 "Friends of the Library" may apply on behalf of a public library. Applications will be filed through your sponsoring public library's annual report portal: sd.countingopinions.com .
Not required, but preference will be given to:
- libraries who have sought out or are currently seeking SD State Library voluntary accreditation; and
- libraries that send local librarians or trustees to training programs such as Jump Start or participate in online webinars.
How to apply: Applications should be submitted online at sd.countingopinions.com . Sign in using your library's annual report account credentials. Select the Stephanie Miller-Davis Grant from the Collection menu.
Contact: Questions please call the South Dakota State Library at 1-800-423-6665 or email Laura Kelly email@example.com .
Deadline: Completed applications must be received no later than Monday, February 3, 2020. Grant decisions will be communicated by Friday, February 28, 2020.
South Dakota Community Foundation
The Stephanie Miller-Davis Fund was established to remember Stephanie while continuing her investment in children. This fund supports early childhood literacy in South Dakota with a focus on rural communities.