FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Thursday, May 18, 2023
Mmary Stadick Smith, South Dakota Department of Education,
State Library recognizes 21st Century School Libraries
PIERRE, S.D. — The South Dakota State Library has awarded nine school libraries the 21st Century School Library Award for 2023. This annual award recognizes school libraries as Effective, Enhanced, or Exemplary based on performance in three areas: place, programming, and the professional.
Applicants conduct a self-assessment and provide evidence of their ability to meet South Dakota's guidelines for school libraries. Award status is valid for a three-year period. This is a voluntary process.
Awarded libraries will be honored in fall 2023.
Exemplary Award recipients are:
- Alcester-Hudson Elementary School Library:
Librarian Nola Conner; Administrator Tim Rhead
- Alcester-Hudson Junior High/High School Library:
Librarian Nola Conner; Administrator Jason Van Engen
- Belle Fourche High School Library:
Librarian Karen Schlekeway; Administrator Mathew Raba
- Douglas Badger Clark Elementary School Library:
Librarian Kristyn LaBine; Administrator Troy Volesky
- Rapid City West Middle School Library:
Librarian Shelley Rath; Administrator Dan Conrad
- Rapid Valley Elementary School Library:
Librarian Jennifer Backhaus; Administrator Cher Daniel
- Sioux Falls Discovery Elementary School Library:
Librarian Angela Klopstad; Administrators Dan Fischer and Kristina Becker
- Sioux Falls R.F. Pettigrew Elementary School Library:
Librarians Nicole Ulvestad and Jennifer Breidenbach; Administrator Kevin Dick
- West Central Middle School/High School Library:
Librarian DaNann Tirrel; Administrator Eric Knight
Find more information on the State Library's 21st Century School Library Award webpage.